Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Springbrook

In view of the pending snow storm tonight, I decided to make my first trip of the year to Springbrook Nature Center in Fridley this morning. It's one of my favorite places to visit on short notice since it is only about 7 mi. from home and I rarely return without some photos I like. I'm amazed that the city of Fridley can maintain such a wonderful resource. From time to time there has been talk of selling it for housing, etc. -- I hope that never comes to pass. If you haven't been there, I urge you to stop by for a visit.

The City will have to due some repair work. Sometime last fall, or over the winter, they have managed to install one new bridge; I see that some trees & brush are marked for removal.

I arrived just after sunrise. There is very little open water. Most of the ponds are frozen over as you can see from the above and below pictures.

In the distance you can see some geese which I was getting ready to photograph with the Canon 400mm f/5.6 plus 1.4x extender.

As the sun rose higher, the geese became more active -- flying out and in. What are they eating?


A rather dignified fellow, don't you think?

I'm guessing that many of the geese are planning to stay at Springbrook since they were paired off and appeared ready to defend their territory.


"You talkin' to me?!"

"I told you we should stay in Texas!"
more tomorrow