Saturday, March 24, 2007

joining the hunt & riding the thermals

Although I had plenty of chores to do around the house, as the sun started peeking out through the fog & clouds -- and the temperature hit 67 -- I had no choice. I got in the car and headed north and east towards Wyoming (the town); the several roads leading into Carlos Avery were still closed.
At the boat landing on the north side of Linwood Lake, I came upon this Red-shouldered Hawk watching and waiting. A quick dive towards the lake didn't yield any results.
Whatever was his prey, it escaped, and he had to return to scanning and searching for the next potential victim.
The lake was 95% frozen with a few daring people still ice fishing. After a pleasant hour or so, listening to Chickadees, admiring a male Ring-necked Pheasant, watching another hawk very high in the sky and a Bald Eagle circling above, it was time for me to ride the thermals of I-35 back home. Unless it rains tomorrow, I know I won't get to my chores.