Monday, June 4, 2007

Amazon came through

My Canon XTi arrived by UPS just before supper time -- how can I take time for supper when I have a new camera to try out?
Easy -- I have to charge the battery first. That's a disappointment since I didn't realize that the XTi takes a different battery than the 20D for which I have 4 or 5. Why do they do this? One reason may be to save weight; the XTi is quite a bit smaller & lighter than the 20D -- and so is the new battery. One of the first things I need to do is get on the Internet & order some spares. At least it uses the same Compact Flash cards.
So -- I've been reading the manual and discovering that although the buttons are in different places, the basic functions are essentially the same.
Another disappointment -- the remote control plug is different. Oh well, that's not something I use often & I'll always have the 20D for that, if necessary.
Overall first impression so far -- I'm happy. I like the way the camera feels and the fact that it is small & light. As mentioned above, most of the functions, if not the button locations, are the same so it won't take me long to get used to it. I will probably take more pictures now with the normal zoom, 17-85mm, and also the 50mm lens I have since it is even more compact and fast (f/1.4). I'm sure I'll have some pictures to share tomorrow.