Tuesday, June 12, 2007

sites I have bookmarked

Even though you will find a link to Art Morris' site on this blog and see that I mention him often, I cannot recommend too highly his books and newsletters. Check him out: http://www.birdsasart.com/
The prices on stuff he sells are quite reasonable (most of the time) and the shipping is fast and cheap.

For local flavor, take a look at
Audubon Center of the North Woods
I haven't visited there, but hope to do so soon, particularly since it is not that far away.

Then, of course, there is the National Audubon Society. The For the Birds section should be particularly helpful to beginning birders. The site led me to two nearby refuges I did not know existed and hope to visit soon: Upper Souris NWR and Horicon NWR. Note the large gift shop page.

I have bookmarked AviSys. Is it anything more than an electronic checklist? - anyone familiar with it? I haven't followed up on it since I don't keep life lists, state lists, yard lists, etc. I just take pictures of birds & what looks good. Maybe that's too simple an approach, but so far it is all I can manage. However, I can see where lists can be useful in knowing when birds will appear, nest, and so on, in your area. I sometimes go back to the pictures I have filed in Picasa and check the dates there.

Yes, I'm giving you some filler stuff tonight since I haven't been in the field; but I hope to get out tomorrow. I'll be trying out a car window mount I have jury-rigged and will let you know how it works.